Friday, January 24, 2014

Yesterday freezing precipitation was predicted for today so I ran to the library and stocked up with a few good mysteries. As the sleet hit the windows around six in the evening and the high winds blew and battered the turbines on the roof, I curled up in the recliner and read. My lights flickered but I didn't lose power, others in town did. I think they have power now.

This morning the storm had passed, but created enough hazards from ice alone to shut the city down until the temperature warms up. Last night people were stranded on bridges and overpasses. Those that could, abandoned their vehicles. Others had to wait for help to arrive. More stuck cars this morning. Tow trucks are busy clearing away the abandoned cars. So far the accidents have been minor but the count is high.

My front porch looked wet so I opened the storm door, crouched down and touched a spot. Solid Ice. After that I put the crockpot on high with carrots, potatoes, and a pork tenderloin to simmer, I spent a few hours at the computer doing revisions.

We've got it good, though. I can't help thinking about the people buried under snow, ice, and freezing temperatures that will take days to receive any kind of relief. Our relief should begin around noon as the temperatures rise.

How did the huge front affect your area?





10 comments:

  1. Cathie, I'm glad you're okay. And with power. So wise to bend down and touch the porch to make sure. Ice really can fool you. My heart goes out to all who are stranded. And in the cold.

    We've been bitter cold here in CT with some snow, but managing. Just keep telling yourself it's around eight weeks until spring.

    Stay warm, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, you stay warm and safe. I know you have it much worse than we do. I can only imagine if we had just a two foot snowfall what we would do :). You New Englanders are tough!

      Delete
  2. Ice scares me the most. We were 5 degrees here when I woke up this morning, but with such a crystal, clear day, we sat in our car at the beach and ate lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Liza, I bet it was beautiful, even though it was cold! Five degrees??? Omigosh! You stay warm and safe, too!

      Delete
  3. Catherine, glad you've been snug and warm and have some good books to read. We are fine here (though thermometer registered 10 below this morning) but like you our hearts go out to those who are struggling or have found themselves stranded on the roads. Beautiful vistas but so dangerous...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ten below??? and I thought Liza's Five was cold! Kenda, I'm glad you are fine, take care.

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow, I heard you all got hit good! I'm glad you're staying warm and cozy and cooking something yummy in the crockpot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By afternoon conditions had gotten a lot better, but I sure enjoyed the yummies in the crockpot :)

      Delete
  5. We could get anywhere from 2-4 inches tonight. The thing that stinks about this winter is that the heat in my car doesn't work unless the car is actually moving. So no starting it early and jumping into a toasty warm interior. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Leandra, that's terrible! Where I used to live, I loved going out, starting the car, and then going back in while it warmed up enough to defrost windows. I'm soooo sorry!

      Delete