Tuesday, March 26, 2013

No More Homegrown Veggies Again

I got a little misty eyed when I  pulled out some old pictures this spring after I dragged a sprinkler around the yard on my assigned watering day. But I needed to be reminded of what used to be.

This picture is the view from a lakefront leased lot on a private ranch at Medina Lake about five years ago. We gave the lease up when the water started shrinking from our shoreline. The week the front of our lot was extended about a football length from where it is shown here and our floating dock was stranded on dry ground, we gave up the lot. Right now the lake is almost bone dry. For more information and interesting pictures of the lake go here.

Last spring we had lots of wonderful rain to get us through the dog days of summer, and I seriously considered planting a small vegetable garden again for the first time in three years, but didn't because of the dire predictions on the news. They were right and I couldn't possibly give the tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and all the other vegetables the water they would need.

This spring there has only been one really good rain. Water restrictions allow me to save shrubs and trees and maybe the lawn. So, another spring and summer to face with no more home grown cantalopes fresh from the garden ...
And no more vegetable gardens...                                                               
But as hard as it is for me, I know the ranchers and farmers are in worse shape. I don't know how they find the courage and strength to keep trying, but I'm glad they do each time I take a trip to the local grocery store.                                                                                                                                                   
Those of you that do have enough rain and planted those lush gardens, share your pictures on your blog because looking at them is pure pleasure for the rest of us.


6 comments:

  1. Cathie, how sad for you, and frightening for the farmers and ranchers, especially since there is nothing you can do about the drought. Maybe this year isn't the year, but my hope is that the pattern changes and rain returns.

    I know it's not the same, but what about putting a small pot of say a favorite herb, indoors? It will give you green, fresh flavor for your cooking ... and hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Andrea. I think I'll do that and it will be fun shopping in the nursery :)

      Delete
  2. That is tough, especially if you enjoy gardening. I've been through water rationing a couple of times before and it was really hard! (Once for outside only and once for inside and outside.)

    I hope things improve for you all soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimberly, they said yesterday by the end of summer we wil be in Stage 4 restrictions. Right now we're in Stage 2. I can't imagine what that will be like.

      Love your new house and the pictures you posted! Tank is adorable :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, Catherine, I hope things improve. I don't do a lot of gardening, but the little I do gives me a lot of satisfaction. We grow tomatoes and pepper and eggplant each summer, and a few herbs. I think the idea of potted herbs indoors it a good idea until drought conditions pass. Herbs really don't need much water to survive.

    BTW: Thanks for stopping by Victorian Scribbles and commenting. I hope you'll come by the new blog often. I have a new post up on Tennyson (if you like his poetry).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the herb idea is good also and a neighbor suggested maybe growing tomatoes in a pot but it's supposed to get hot here fast and tomatoes won't set in the heat.
      Loved the new blog and I'll be visiting often :).

      Delete