Friday, February 22, 2013

Writing Romantic Scenes is Tough!


I don't write romance, never found the necessity in my middle grade projects and just a mild flirtation in my young adult projects was easily portrayed. HOWEVER, in tackling my New Adult WIP it's a necessity.

No problem. It'll be a snap.

I dove right in and drowned.

I wrote the scene, rewrote, and quit. I had no idea it would be so difficult. The scenes I'm talking about are the sweet boy-meets-girl, boy-loses-girl, boy-gets-girl kind of thing. This was just the first meeting where I had to show their instant attraction.

How the heck was I going to tackle a whole, slowly blooming romance if I couldn't even write a first meeting?

If an author wants to write a genre then the writer needs to read, read, read the genre. That's the advice I followed when learning to write mystery/suspense and thrillers. I pulled out my kindle.

I downloaded some romances and a friend loaned two from her kindle archives. For the past week I've been reading, studying, and marvelling at the techniques. No wonder there are devotees of the romance genre. One was so great, I forgot to study and became totally involved with the main character.

Will I find it easier to write those scenes? I hope so.

Romance Writers, I salute you!


9 comments:

  1. I cannot write a romantic scene to save my life~ one of the many reasons I'm more comfortable in middle grade land. I love that you're studying techniques and have every confidence that you'll do a great job with your romantic scenes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely doing the right thing. Reading to enjoy and to study is the right road to take. Wishing you the best when you tackle that scene again...this time, armed with a bit of know-how :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela, I'm planning on tackling it again on Monday...I hope I have enough of the know-how :)

      Delete
  3. yup! Only way to go. Been there. I used to avoid romance scene, sex scenes, virgin scenes (ah! Run like hell from those!) but after reading them, studying them and tearing them apart, I no longer have trouble. I know what I hate, what I love and what I want to achieve. In fact it's second nature and I look forward to the challenge. Have FUN!!!!

    Now, I treat my romance scenes like my battle scenes. I use the same techniques. Play with the sentence structure and the words choice the same. Arm my opponents and let them go to... ah war? I even use pov and setting to create tension much the same way... only sexier. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you compared the romance scenes to the battle scenes :) Very clever :) I love it!

      Delete
  4. I like to include romance in most of the YA I write...but yep, they are trickier than you think. Not to sound syrupy, or hokey, or whatever. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Carol! I'm reading my last romance today before getting back to my WIP :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's the best advice - a writer should always read, read, read in whatever genre they're writing.

    ReplyDelete