Saturday, January 5, 2013

Indie Published Books Can Be a Delightful Surprise



It's been cold, wet, and dreary out. The kind of January we desperately need, but not the kind to venture outside the warmth of the recliner and afghan.

I decided it might be time to download some free or inexpensive self-published books (now indie-published) on my Kindle. I wanted to see if the quality of the writing, all aspects, were improving since so many writers were going that route and readers were praising them.

I didn't want to load up my Kindle with vanity works, the ones that made us wince or snort in derision when we first heard about self published books. There are still a whole lot of those books available. But how could I be sure?

I pulled up Amazon and began browsing. First a title had to grab me, then after I clicked on it, I read the blurb. If it sounded like something I would enjoy, I immediately looked to see who published the book. (If it's not obvious, a quick search in a new window tells you right away if it's not a traditional house.)

My next step is to check the author's page if there is one. I learned some amazing things. Some of these authors were traditionally published in the past and, still owning digital rights, they've uploaded the book. Some authors left publishers to go out on their own. Others, tired of rejection after working for years honing their craft, have gone this route and have quality work to offer.

To my delight, most of the books I downloaded turned out to be well done. A few were rough around the edges in the editing tight department, but I chose well.

I encourage other skeptical and reluctant readers to give some of these indie books a chance and judge for yourself.



12 comments:

  1. Nice post. It's good to read about someone giving indie books a fair shake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I did :) I have to admit I resisted for a long time being a product of the old school of thought. So much is being said and printed about how things are changing I decided it was time to see for myself.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a reader's insight into self-published books. Very helpful. The publishing world has certainly changed and we need to keep an open mind on some of these things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chances are I may fit well into the "writing forever, honing their craft" arena, but overall, this is a great post. Gives me much to think about as self publishing might be the avenue I must take. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, David, and commenting. :)

      Delete
  4. I've found some excellent titles also, Catherine. Some of them really superb. Excellent post. And thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I don't have the time to blog like I used to, so I always appreciate my "old" familiar friends stopping by when I post. I'll always respond with a visit. And your visit reminds me that I have Tough Luck in my Kindle, along with many many other good books. I WILL get to it. BTW, as I have searched for good Indie books as you have done, I always download a sample. No sample, no buy. Someone once said the sample was the best part of the book, but so far I haven't been disappointed. Yes, sometimes the editing is a bit ragged, but I've been trying to turn off my English teacher mind and concentrate on the story, which I can do okay now if there aren't too many "errors."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I read the part of the teacher mind, I do that, too! It's so hard sometimes :) Hope you enjoy Tough Luck!

      Delete
  5. Very cool~ it's great that you're finding gems to read! I still don't have a Kindle...my bedside book stack is ridiculous as it is, and I'm afraid if I get an electronic reader, the list of books directly waiting for my to read them would be too daunting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one friend who regularly publishes his own work, and another who is tired of waiting for a publisher. She just wants her work in print. Good article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your friend is successful! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete