Friday, October 5, 2012

Rough Draft Finished!

It's October and I finally finished my summer novel. It feels like a weight's been lifted off my shoulders. I know the work is only beginning, but for right now I'm thrilled to bits. My characters, setting, plot, subplots, and the solution has all been worked out.

More relief when I print every last page, put it in a folder, and file it away until at least two months have passed. I can do what I want, I can laze around, or start something new. Since the next few months are filled with holiday plans and activities, I know it will sit and collect dust until the end of January.

When that time comes I think the most interesting part of writing begins. I  sit back with a pencil in hand and grade it like a teacher. If I have spent enough time away from it, I see and understand things from a new point of view. Usually, this is where I find errors, and more importantly, plot point holes that I could have sworn were in the manuscript but resided only in my head.

Once that is finished, back to the computer to make the changes. I always hope that I did such a good job that it's now perfect, but I've never had that kind of luck. There always seems to be a whole new crop of annoying little problems with each reading, until I think I can't find anymore. Then a critique partner or group finds the rest and helps make it even better.

What do you do when your rough draft is finally finished?



13 comments:

  1. YAY! Reaching that first "The End" is an awesome feeling. Even though more work is ahead, this is a good time to relax, pat yourself on the back for this accomplishment, then have a nice glass of wine...or three. At least that's one of the things I did to celebrate :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you celebrate! Hey, congratulations on your independent upcoming release. How exciting! Looking forward to it!

      Delete
  2. You know, I could hear you exhale all the way over here ;) What a great feeling to finish the draft and put it away to percolate. Celebrate! Then start something new :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry to be so loud :) The new one's main character is already saying, "My turn! My turn!"

      Delete
  3. I know that feeling of relief. I actually enjoy editing a whole lot more then wrIting the story so it's hard for me to put the first draft away. I dive right in and maybe put it away on the fourth or fifth draft. I've learned that I'm compulsive when it comes to editing, so it never gets put away for very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with it being a lot more fun editing than the first draft. I do let my inner editor loose while I'm working, I think that's why the first draft takes a lot longer than it should. But when it's finished, I have to get away from it. I think you are great getting it edited four or five times first!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you got a lot accomplished over the summer. Enjoy the resting phase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! How exciting. Make sure to take a minute to pat yourself on the back before you dive into revising. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! Congratulations for your debut book being out almost a year! Can't wait until March for the second book :)

      Delete
  6. First of all, congratulations for finishing your new book, first draft or not. That is always so satisfying. Like you, I put my finished early draft aside, but then I work on something else. I may not wait two months to re-read it, but when I do, I re-write it a couple or a few times and then give it to my writing group. And then, of course, more re-writing is called for. What would we do without our writing groups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't do without the input from others! They always seem to have such good ideas and suggestions :)

      Delete
  7. Putting the novel away for a while does allow you to see all the things that need fixing to make the book better.

    ReplyDelete