Thursday, June 28, 2012

Best Time to Write

A writer friend and I were talking about our best times to write. We seemed to have followed the same pattern as we, well, you know...aged.
When I first started writing, I would write late at night and into the wee hours of the morning with my cat curled up at my feet. During those years I found I did my best creative thinking at that time of day. Daytime was filled with other activities outdoors.

 Now, I can't do that. Instead, I'm happily in bed hugging my pillow.

 My best writing time is first thing in the morning. That's when the old brain is the sharpest. By noon, that's it, my creative juices have stopped flowing. After a good lunch, I either nap (have learned to love those), do a little house cleaning, or I spend the rest of the day reading other people's work.

What time of day is the most productive for you?

On a side note, just finished Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath. It did not disappoint and there's another sequel waiting to be written, I hope.

15 comments:

  1. It was odd, but around 2pm was when I could kick it into gear. Now? Mornings. Early afternoons I'm in editor mode. Very late afternoons and evenings? I'm a mush brain. At least it's a gradual decline...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mush brain, that says it all :) Love it!

      Delete
  2. I'm aging right along with you, Cathy, but my best writing time is still in the evenings. I think it has something to do with having a teenager in the house. Once I have an empty nest, maybe my writing pattern will change. I do find mornings are the best time to edit. As far as reading other people's work, I can do that easy enough anytime of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will change when the day and the house turns out to be all yours and you can do what you want when you want. Course, the empty nest will be hard at first!

      Delete
  3. I am a night owl, but that time is reserved for me and the hubster so I steal moments while the kiddos are napping or watching tv. Or weekends are great, I can write for an hour or so at Starbucks while hubster watches the kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you young married women with a family do it, but I sure admire you for working in the time when you can!

      Delete
  4. I think for me early afternoons are best. I seem to need to get completely awake with crosswords and email, etc. for my brain to get in creative mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that getting completely awake thing :)

      Delete
  5. I write mostly on weekends and sometimes in the evening if I'm not too tired after work. If I didn't work, I'd probably write in the mornings too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great trip with your daughter, Kimberly, and let us know all about it when you get back!

      Delete
  6. I like to write in the mornings, and when I'm insecure about it I stay in bed with my paper or laptop and diet Coke. Other times I can write anytime and anyplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea of staying in bed with paper or laptop :)

      Delete
  7. I loved the Mermaid series too!
    For me, I have a job that doesn't let me have a routine, so I tend to write whenever I'm inspired, (or pressured with a looming deadline) sometimes it's at 2am when I must get out of bed to write down that scene.

    ReplyDelete