Sunday, February 26, 2012

Write Away by Elizabeth George

I like to brush up on the craft of writing, so, when I run across a book by someone proven in the field, I pick it up.  Browsing in the library, I found Write Away by Elizabeth George. It was published by Harper Collins in 2004 and is filled with great ideas, advice, and techniques.

The one thing she said that really hit home had to do with self discipline-my problem. It's always easy for me to find something else to do other than showing up in my office each day.

"You will be published if you possess three qualities-talent, passion, and discipline."

She continues:

 "You will probably be published if you possess two of the three qualities in either combination-either talent and discipline, or passion and discipline.

"You will likely be published if you possess neither talent nor passion but still have discipline."

And finally, 

"But if all you possess is talent or passion, if all you possess is talent and passion you will not be published."

"And if by some miracle you are published, it will probably never happen again."

16 comments:

  1. So true. I find showing up is easier, though, if I tell myself I don't have to write today. I can re-read or revise or whatever. And once I'm doing that, once I have the document open, I've slid in through the back door to the day's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention -- love your new home page :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself doing the same thing. It seems once I start something, I get into it again. It's just getting into that chair :) Thanks about the change, I got tired of the old one and needed a reminder spring was on the way.

      Delete
  3. You've struck a chord here, or should I say Elizabeth George has :-) Discipline is truly a major key, and one I'm good at on some days and not so good at on other days. Especially days that I spend too much time on the internet. I have several books on writing on my shelf, but George's book sounds like another one I'd love to dig into. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenda, don't get me started on the internet. When I do manage to get in the chair, sometimes I spend the whole time surfing the net and reading blogs. It takes a real effort to ignore the little internet icon :)

      Delete
  4. I might look for that book, sounds like there's some sensible advice in it.
    Wagging Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charmaine, good luck on the contest at your blog.

      Everyone, she's offering a Kindle Fire! Head on over there and read how to win one :)

      Delete
  5. I love this! I'll definitely have to go find the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading a fair bit of Elizabeth George lately, but I didn't know about this book. Off to the library I go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to check out that book. I will sit down to write and then go and do everything else on the Internet before I actually start writing, and sometimes I end up not writing! Like now. :)

    I love your new blog design! I haven't been here for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing, Kimberly. Just changed the blog design for this post and the last post was a while ago :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a quote! Oh boy, this convicts me to get back to work on this darn WiP that's giving me a headache. Discipline, discipline, discipline!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Golly! Gulp! Thanks for this, Catherine. And this book sounds amazing. I'm familiar with Elizabeth George-- definitely someone to listen to, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is. I really got a lot from the book including a good slap in the back of the head.

      Delete