Friday, October 21, 2011

Creating Blurbs and Log Lines is Torture

I was asked to write a 25 word log line and a 50 word blurb this week for the same novel. It took two hours of head scratching, groaning, wiping sweat beads off my upper lip, and pacing around the room saying them out loud. I think they are finished and to me they are good, but I'm not sure if someone else will think they meet the standard for merely adequate.

Am I the only one who finds this absolute torture? Any secret formula from those that breeze through them?

12 comments:

  1. You mean there are people who breeze through them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,maybe it's wishful thinking that someone will give us the secret :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If some stranger happens to pass you a slip of paper with the secret formula for doing this, PLEASE feel free to post it from ANON so that the rest of us can know how to get these done. Pretty please? lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From experience, I conclude that they are indeed much more difficult to write than the actual book! Well, almost.

    Glad you finally got them done. If they seem good to you, they probably are.
    Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems I'm not alone in this :) Thanks, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been asked yet but it does seem hard to get it all just right. Have a super weekend! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually have to go through several such sessions before it comes even close. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane, it is hard and when it's done you still think you can do better :)

    Susan, I hear you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you got through it.

    I'd rather write a novel than pitches, synopses, and such.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it's torture for me, too! Congratulations on finishing them!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Madeira, me, too!

    Amy, let's hope it gets better with time and practice :)

    ReplyDelete