Sunday, September 11, 2011

Umbrella Summer by Lisa Graff

I just finished reading the Kindle edition of Umbrella Summer, a middle grade novel by Lisa Graff. I won't write a short synopsis of the novel, but here's a link to the page at Amazon that provides a good one.  This novel from 2009 made big, fat tears roll down my cheeks. I had to pull off my glasses, dab at my eyes, but could not put this book down.

 As an adult and former elementary teacher, I approached this from an adult point of view with life experiences. I was totally involved emotionally with the main character Annie Richards, her parents, and the woman across the street who just moved into the neighborhood. I don't know what a child would be thinking as he/she read this novel, but I'm sure they would relate to Annie and the other characters emotionally as well.

I love the way the author portrayed Annie's unusual problem of dealing with grief, and the way she had the other child characters interact with Annie while keeping their own special characteristics. I especially liked the way she handled two best friends breaking up, bringing in another character to stir the pot, and including enough humor to make me chuckle.

At times, though, the teacher in me wanted to reach in the book and give her parents a couple of good head slaps! But Annie took care of that in her own way.

This is not a sad book, it is touching, sweet, at times funny, and hopeful as it deals with a family overcoming grief. In the end you come away knowing everything is going to be all right. But the journey to that end is just plain wonderful.



6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. And such a cute cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a cute cover! Thanks for stopping by, Claire, and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I most definitely want to check out this book. I'd love to see how the theme of grief is handled. Thanks so much, Catherine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This review couldn't have come at a better time. I'll get this book right away. I've actually been toying with a MG book that deals with handling grief so this is awesome.

    By the way, you have an award over at my blog: http://publishness.blogspot.com/2011/09/better-than-academy-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad it can help you. Thank you for the award. I'm going over to get it right now.

    ReplyDelete