Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Baking a Chapter

Maybe I'm just desperate to blog creatively but here goes. A chapter from my young adult mystery/thriller is ready to share with my critique group tomorrow. Today as I was making a loaf of sour dough bread, I waxed sort of poetic and compared the baking of bread to writing and revising.
This chapter has been giving me fits. I did my best to mix all the ingredients then put it aside hoping the "yeast" of more depth would rise and make the chapter seem bigger. This morning as I read through it, it seemed a smidgeon bigger, but it needed more revision, so I pound it down and and revised a little more.
Of course, the loaf of bread is pretty on the surface, nice color, crisp crust, but after I slice it...?
 I'm hoping they tell me I baked this chapter just right.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, sugar loaf bread ... I've never heard of it. It looks delicious.

    I hope you get good feedback on your chapter, too! Nice analogy. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, why did I read Sugar Loaf instead of sourdough. I need a brain transplant! Sourdough I've heard of. LOL!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I would never have compared baking bread to writing, but you're right. They both need the right ingredients (building blocks) to turn out right. That bread looks delicious and I'll bet your troublesome chapter is pretty yummy too,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I chuckled at your second entry. The first one made me think I had written it wrong for just a second. You know us writers--I bet your subconcious has an idea for a Sugar Loaf story and don't even know it!

    Shellie, thank you, I hope it's yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://mandykrzywonski.blogspot.com/2011/07/epilepsyblogger-must-read-award-badge.html

    A badge for you! Wonderful blog, still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post and what a great analogy! I love the picture of the bread as well. IS that the one you made? It looks yummy! I'm sure your chapters are just as delicious as the loaf of bread you baked. :)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet thing to say! Yep, I made it myself and it turned out really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That picture has me salivating. :)

    Did the critique group savor your chapter?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathryn,

    Not exactly...it needs a smidgeon more to be just right :)

    ReplyDelete