Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nerves of Mush

I have hung onto my Pockets contest entry until today. Even though I posted weeks ago it was ready to go out, I just couldn't do it. Doubts reared their ugly heads: Is it okay? Are there any stupid mistakes I keep missing? Will my world collapse if it's not just right?  Silly? I know, but that's just me. I put it away to wait and check.

Finally, this morning, I knew it was time. I couldn't hold onto it any longer. I read it several times, wrote the cover letter, printed everything off, and stuffed it in the envelope.

It's in the mailbox and will be picked up shortly.

 Should I leave it there?
                                            Will he drop it?

 Maybe I should take it to the post office?     

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this? And does it ever end?


Good News:

The summer issue from Stories for Children is now out. Lisa Michaels was the illustrator for my story, The First Kids-Only Hike, and her illustration brought my characters to life. Thank you, Lisa!

For those of you who write short fiction and haven't heard , SFC is now a paying magazine for writers and illustrators.

6 comments:

  1. Someone notified me that they couldn't post on this post today and sent me an email. When will Blogger fix this! It seems to be getting worse not better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel those nerves all the time! I have to reread everything a bunch of times--even blog posts--before I finally let it go. Glad I'm not the only one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've hardly sent out any queries because of the nerves. It's terrifying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew, what a relief! Now I know I'm in good company and don't feel alone anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool that you're in SFC! It's awesome that they're a paying market now:) Can't wait to read your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always fret before sending something in. I write columns and articles for local newspapers, and I always wonder if it's good enough.

    ReplyDelete