Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Author: Susan Runholt


Sometimes I wonder about me. Here I write mysteries and somehow I've missed this author. As I browsed the bookshelves of the library I ran across this book. It looked like a great little mystery so I checked it out.

It turned out to be a gem about two teen BFF's, Kari and Lucas. On a trip to Scotland with Kari's writer mom, who is supposed to do a story on fifteen-year-old piano prodigy, Seneca Crane, the girls become friends. Then Seneca is kidnapped and it's up to them to follow the clues they've developed and find her. What kids will love is that Runholt found a reasonable way to ratchet up the tension and put those kids totally on their own with only their wit and self-confidence to see them through.

What makes this a little gem is not only the well constructed mystery, there is also a well developed cast of characters, two friends sometimes at odds, and a little bit of crushing on boys in a foreign country. Put all that together with descriptions of Scotland, traveling on trains, daily life experiences in a foreign country, well, even a girl my age is ready to pack her bags and take off for an experience.

Rescuing Seneca Crane, 2009, is a sequel to Susan Runholt's debut mystery with Kari and Lucas entitled The Mystery of the Third Lucretia. The references in this book to that book, plus the pure pleasure of reading this gem, sold me on going back and picking that up. Book three, Adventures at Simba Hill, has recently been released--Yippee! I'm so going to enjoy my summer reading.





7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good one my daughter and I would both like. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy mysteries--thanks for telling us about this, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This DOES sound like a gem~ plus, I've always loved books set in the UK. The cover is very easy on the eyes too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, Andrea, and Jess, thanks for commenting.

    I was not able to comment before but once I changed the settings for comments to a new form, it suddenly "recognized" me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound like really great books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, intrigued!
    I haven't heard of this one, but you've sparked my interest :)
    Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimberly, they really are!
    Charmaine, hope you try one.

    ReplyDelete