Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dogsled Dreams by Terry Lynn Johnson

I've been fighting a head cold aggravated by an allergy. I have a vaporizer in the living room by my recliner, an afghan, and a cup of hot tea. But now I have learned what the phrase: "Good for what ails you" means.
Dogsled Dreams made me forget I was sick! I got so involved with Rebecca's desire to run a dogsled race, Jackie, a girlie-girl BFF who Rebecca thinks doesn't understand why she's not more interested in boys and makeup, tension and conflict within the family, a pinch of romance, and an ongoing mystery of sabotage that my tea got cold and I have no memory of sneezing and coughing!
Not only was the story engaging and the characters delightful (she gave each dog its own personality), Terry Lynn Johnson presented facts about dog teams, equipment, and procedures in a page turning adventure. For example, I had no idea dogs pooped on the run and what could happen to the driver when they do!
Dogsled Dreams did not disappoint but it ended much too soon. I would love to read some more adventures about Rebecca and the other great cast of characters Terry Lynn Johnson has brought to life. Kids are going to love this book!

23 comments:

  1. I'm very anxious to read this book. I trust your recommendation!

    And I hope you're feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, you will enjoy it. It's fast paced and chocked full of good things ;) Thanks for the get well wish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific review. Don't you love books that make your tea go cold? A true sign of a great book, if there ever was :) Feel better, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to forget the sickness. Sounds like a great one for my daughter. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know what you mean, my husband is an invalid and immerses himself in books, that helps. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! I follow Terry Lynn's blog and can't wait to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane, your daughter will love it!

    Carole, books are wonderful for taking us away into new lives and adventures.

    Jess, you will really enjoy Dogsled Dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great, Catherine! Thanks for the review.

    I hope you're feeling better soon, but I'm glad you had a good book to get you through the worst. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great cover! Thanks for the review, I have to read this doggie book.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Downloaded Dreamspell Mystery anthology - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Charmaine! Hope you enjoy the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much, Catherine! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Talk about your seasonal reading! I hope by now you're over the worst of your cold, Catherine. I can't imagine being allergic to something in the winter: May and August are bad enough!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Anne, I am all well now. It is Mountain Cedar that blooms in January. We had such dry days that it was everywhere. The last record breaker count of pollen was 48,0000 per square meter. Yikes! I didn't even know I was allergic. The head cold welcomed the pollen and they had a party in my head! The rain and cold has come, washed the air clean, and after staying indoors for over a week,I'm all better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the review, Catherine. I love Terry Lynn's blog and I'm excited to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the review. I've been interested in reading this book, as well as giving it to my 8-yr-old daughter who is a big dog fan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just seeing the cover of those dogs, pulling the sled made me want to read the book. I've always been fascinated by dog sledding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Terrific review. I agree completely! It's a fantastic book :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Theresa, thanks for stopping by and commenting. Your daughter will love the book.
    C.Lee, they've always fascinated me, too, after that old show, I think called, Sargent Preston of the Yukon and his dog King, I firt learned about Huskies and dog sledding.
    Jemi, thanks for stopping by and following.

    ReplyDelete