Saturday, December 18, 2010

I Just Discovered Microsoft OneNote Notebook and I love it!

When I ordered Microsoft Office 2010 it came with an item called Microsoft OneNote. It was never included in an Office package I purchased before so I'm thinking the difference is I ordered the one that included small business. OneNote Notebook is a looseleaf notebook with tabs and pages created for businesses to share between employees and upload on webs. Anyone can add pages or notes when shared. Great for businesses but fabulous for a writer who makes three ring binders for each novel!

I decided to use it to plan a new middle grade mystery. I listed the elements of a book like plot, character, description on the tabs at the top. After that I clicked on Characters. Under the tab I can make pages for each character. Each page is listed on the right so you can click quickly between each one. I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning filling out pages. No more creating pages, printing, punching holes, and including it in the binder. And I can add pictures of the characters I find on the net!

A few minutes ago I created a second notebook entitled "Personal". My first tab is Submissions 2010. I inserted my flash drive and dragged the Submissions Excel file to the notebook page. Now the submission file is on the page. I can add anything else I want to the same page from typing, inserting, or dragging and dropping from other files like diagrams, charts, photos, etc.

Have any of you used this in your writing? Does Mac have anything similar?

10 comments:

  1. Wow, what a time saver this sounds like! I have an older version of Microsoft, so I don't have the program--but I'll keep my eye out for it if (when?!) I need to upgrade. Thanks for the heads up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, Catherine! I have Word 08 for Mac and it doesn't have One Note. Wish it did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenda and Andrea, I had Word 2007 Professional XP and if I had it, it was well hidden because I never noticed it:) I think it may have something to do with getting the Office Home and Business this time, but it's so great for writers it should be included in all versions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great. I'll have to check it out whenever I upgrade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know if the current Mac version has something similar, but it sounds like a terrific application. It may be time to upgrade. Thanks for the info. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is quite a coincidence. I have One Note with my version of Office, however, I only started using it today in much the same way as you, simply because a writing buddy sent me information on a project we're going to be working on together. The date was originally from One Note and one of my printing options was 'send to One Note'. I've known about the programme for a while as part of my OS, but was never curious to find out what it could do. And yes, it will replace my hard copy project bible system too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never used One Note but that sounds a little like Scrivener. Scrivener is specifically made for writers and it's available on both Windows and Mac. You can keep all your notes and research in an organized left-hand column while you write. It allows you to upload images and video into your research pages so that you can keep them close. It even has a feature that makes it take over your screen in case you are someone (me) that is easily distracted by the others things on your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, I heard of Scrivener and forgot about it. Lots of writers swear by it.

    Joy, that is a coincidence. Let me know how it works sharing it and each of you adding to it.

    Kimberly, Kathryn, thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've yet to jump on to Scrivener, but I have writer friends who adore it. Since I'm now a Mac and PC user, I may consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I haven't seen anything like that, but it sounds like a wonderful tool!

    ReplyDelete