Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Update on My Poor, Pitiful Computer

My computer  was diagnosed as having a bad motherboard and video. I brought the poor thing home and it is limping along in Safe Mode with Networking while I search for its replacement. Luckily, I was able to start it in this mode and back up anything I missed. Now I can shop with no worries or regrets.

Decisions, decisions. Shopping for a computer is mind boggling. There are so many new models and features it's really hard to compare, contrast, and decide but I have at least narrowed it down to a desktop of a specific brand,operating system, keyboard, monitor, and mouse. Tomorrow I promised myself I would focus and make a final decision on the model (not too hard) and (gulp) everything else: memory, optical drive, hard drive, video card, sound, software, modem, speakers... Wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. Good luck! And I'm glad you covered you recovered your data okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. This is the stuff of nightmares. My nearly 5-year-old laptop is doing weird things and overheating, so I am fast coming to crunch time myself (and backing up at the end of every day! Best wishes (for both of us!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Catherine!

    I hope you chose Apple, because I've never had the problems with mine that others have with their PCs. (I ran a school computer lab of iMacs that functioned smoothly, with minor maintenance issues. When the district replaced them with PCs it was nothing but headaches, day in and day out.)

    Yes, I know Apples cost more, but I'm willing to shell out a few more bucks for peace of mind and product realiability. You won't have to worry about all the viruses that plague PCs or end up with a Windows system that will be obsolete in a year or two and/or lack technical support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sofia, me, too! Thank you.

    Anne, fingers crossed for you.

    Kathryn, good advice. We used Apples in our school in the nineties and they were very reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're at least up and running, but I sympathize--buying a new computer is a daunting adventure. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I'm not too late, look at the MacBook. I love it. I had used windows for so many years, but I am so glad I made the change. I especially like their history with being virus resistant. Best of luck. It's like picking a new best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! I love shopping for computers! I always get distracted with all the bells and whistles. Amazing that people wrote on typewriters once upon a time...paper, ink ribbon, done. =)
    Edge of Your Seat Romance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck Catherine, and I would suggest you also look forward to installing a secure online backup like www.safecopybackup.com or pick what will work best for you here;www.backuplineup.com. It's good to have a peace of mind knowing your stuff is safely stored in a remote place than keep losing it due to unbearable disaster. Hope you this text helpful.

    ReplyDelete