Friday, November 5, 2010

Kindle and Me



 My neighbor's Pyracantha covered in berries  is one of our first signs of Fall 


Tonight I took a much needed break from NaNo to write about an E-Reader. My sister's Kindle arrived from Amazon tonight around five-thirty. The first in our whole family. Anyone would have known that as soon as they heard the way we oohed and ahhed.

In seconds, with a few touches on the screen, she had it registered with Amazon and was busy downloading her choices of books. ( I asked her how much she was planning to spend and she waved her card at me: "As much as this card will hold." Her husband heard her. "I guess my trip to the lake just got cancelled to next December.")

She chose to use the computer to download books instead of the Kindle because it was easier to browse. Instantly they were available on her Kindle. Naturally, she downloaded my e-book anthology. It was amazing to see it and feel it was something I would look back on as an important technological step for me. I thought about my other technology firsts: my first 8 track tape player, my first cassette player, VHS, CD, and my first DVD, my first computer. Okay, I'm sold! I want my own.

This Kindle is the size of a paperback and to turn the page, you thumb a button on the side. A friend of hers has had one for a year and loves it. For awhile she used it exclusively. "But," she said, "I also love to read "real" books. When I sat down to read one the other day, I found myself so engrossed in it, I kept hitting the side of the page with my thumb trying to get it to turn."

I left my sister to play with it, get to know it, then teach me how to use it. At home, I immediately called a writer friend and we wondered about the print since it seemed to be smaller than 12 point to me on the six inch screen. Was it senior friendly? Yep, Kindle cares about seniors. My sister discovered that you can change the font to a size that's comfortable for the reader. I now know first hand the advantages of e-readers but I don't want to give up books.

 I remember hearing about the hooplah of TV versus Movies. They sounded the death nell for movies. It didn't happen. Both survived and now they even interact together making each stronger. Let's hope it's the same for e-readers and books.

What was your first experience with an e-reader?

Great interview with one of my favorite mystery writers, Janet Evanovich, at Media Bistro and her opinion on e-Books.

20 comments:

  1. I have a Sony reader that I never use. I love books with paper pages, and yes, I consider myself green and eco friendly. But I love wood floors, fireplaces, and book with pages. In a way, you people who love Kindles make me feel less guilty about the trees, which I also love. So more power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only experience so far is hearing how much Kindle owners love them. I'd like to have one, but like you it wouldn't make me give up books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shellie, I love all the things you mentioned and have a fire in the fireplace each winter and curl up in a recliner and read books with pages. I can't see me getting the same feeling with an e-reader in my lap!
    Karen, that's me for sure. If I had to make a choice, I'd pick the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very hopeful! I'm just about to upload my books to the various readers, so wish me luck! Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck, Carole! Wishing you lots of sales!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have absolutely no experience with these...a couple of friends have them, but I'm ashamed to say I've never even touched one! Sad, I know...I'm a go-to-the-library girl for most books, and I would hate to give up my trips to the bookstore for the ones I buy (it's like going to a fancy dress shop for me). After reading this, I'd really like to play around with one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still a book gal. Hopefully they can live together like TV and movies. I will always prefer movies though.... :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, Catherine...I beat you by a month! Younger Son received a Kindle as a graduation present, and by the time he found he really wasn't enthusiastic about it, I'd become very interested. I traded him an equivalent gift card.

    So far I've only downloaded 19th century chick lit (a Jane Austen collection. three Bronte books) and a couple of Kindle-only books by a friend. I'm finding Emma, for instance, a lot more accessible when the type's not 10 pt. and I can look up some of the obscure usages of a word without having to go find a dictionary!

    As far as I'm concerned, it's not an either/or but a both/and.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jess, you've got to play with one just to be amazed.
    Diane, I know what you mean. I love going to the movies and see them on the big screen.

    Anne, the idea of the classics and the-out-of print and out-of-copyright books is a huge seller for me and the fact you can choose the size and style of font is the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will get one in the future, even though I prefer to read from a book. And I do hope that ebooks and books will compliment each other!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been toying with this lately. I like Anne's comment about it being a both/and. At some point I'll probably take the plunge...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't got a Kindle but I really really want one for christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading on my iTouch so much that paper books feel too heavy and awkward! The downside is that books are so easy to download on Amazon, it's really easy to rack up a huge bill. I'm on a strict e-book buying hiatus at the moment and checking out books from the library. I wish they loaned e-books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never used one. I tend to be a little slow where technology is concerned. It takes me forever to try new things, a long time to learn to use them, then when I'm fianlly comfortable, I am hooked. I never touched a computer til 2000, and wonder now how in the world I ever lived without one. Enjoy your Kindles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laura,Andrea,and Alexandra, I think we all go through the thinking about stage of going to get one but hesitating because we love our books.

    Melissa, LOL, I'll have to put myself on a monthly budget after reading what you wrote and watching my sister have fun shopping.

    Ingrid, I was dragged kicking and screaming into the late 20th century, got my computer and same thing, then they dragged me kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and here we are again. I have to let everyone else try things first before I take the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I fiddled with a young adult's iphone on the weekend and wondered how she could read all of her course assigned books on it. I am 48 and have to wear reading glasses. If I change the font there seems to be very left to read before I have to flick to a new page. I really wanted to get Itouch for music, on the go research but now I just don't know. I do love books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Catherine, I LOVES my Kindle. I love it for the convenience of reading several novels at once -- and love the free preview you get with any e-book you download. But I'm still buying regular books too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Queenbeabea, hmmm, something to experiment with today.

    Karen, my sister gave me her Kindle to read a book she downloaded and finished. She wants me to spend the day reading a full book and experience the different things. She cannot rave about it enough. She loves the lightness of it, no fiddling with bookmarks, etc. I'm kind of eager to find out for myself what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't used one yet. But a writing friend of mine has one and brings it to our book discussion meetings. My husband is thinking of getting one, because he travels a lot and that would mean he could read more during trips than if he had to pack books in his baggage and carry-on. At present, I'm still hooked on the old fashioned kind. I love hard copy and trade. But who knows what the future may bring?

    ReplyDelete