Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October Musings

I don't have a one particular topic to write about today because I haven't had too much time to think about it. A dear friend is in the hospital fighting pneumonia so I've been praying for her and worrying. We worked together for over twenty years and became grown-up BFF's. Any prayers sent Jackie's way will be much appreciated.

The October weather has turned beautiful. The crisp air combined with the warm sun has been ideal for getting outside and walking, picking and poking in the garden, and just enjoying the outdoors. I haven't been inclined at all to sit at the computer until today. A neighbor set this out for all us kids so I had to snap it.

I can't believe Christmas decorations are already in the store. When I taught school I hated that. Here we were talking about the Fall season, harvesting on farms, Columbus Day, and getting ready for Halloween and the stores were pushing Christmas. In November we discussed Jamestown and the Pilgrims and looked forward to Thanksgiving Day, but only the grocery stores participated with turkey sales. Why can't retail America enjoy those things? Why are the kids and families bombarded with Christmas in October? A retailer once told me that if you can get the families to shop for Christmas early they are so thrilled to be finished that they are inclined to impulse buy and over spend before Christmas. Profits go up and the retailers are happy. Apparently, it works, because they keep moving up the advertising earlier and earlier. I'm glad it wasn't like that when I was growing up.

My summer WIP is resting. I've come to a little past the middle and am having a hard time deciding which direction the characters need to advance their lives and the plot in the most satisfying way. I decided it needs to be put aside for a few weeks. When I pick it up again and read it straight through it will probably become clear. In the meantime, Halloween is right around the corner, so I've decided to have some fun and write a silly little Halloween mystery for the younger set.

NaNo is just around the corner. They've cleared the old stuff from our pages and it's time to get ready for that. I'm thinking of attempting two MG books instead of one 50,000 word novel. Even if I'm not a winner this year, I decided that would be more than okay if I finished one good draft of a middle grade novel.
So what are your musings as October moves forward?

25 comments:

  1. I have similar musings. Literally cannot stand the Christmas push that tries every year to stamp out Thanksgiving. And I'm preparing for NaNoWriMo as well. I must finish edits on my current wip, then I'll be ready. So yes, I've got one month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Andrea.

    Karen, good luck getting ready for NaNo. This time I'm going to have a small plan and not repeat last year's 50,000 word fiasco :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your friend gets better! Sending out get-well vibes.

    I'm not a big fan of the retailing of Christmas. We have a rule in our family: Everyone over 12 gets a card and hug. It's been working for us and keeps our extended family from getting stressed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending good wishes to your grownup BFF Jackie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. More prayers have been sent Jackie's way. October has sent us rain and dampness. I'm looking forward to some nice walking weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Karen, Jess,Tessa, and Liza, Jackie's family appreciates all the extra prayers and so does Jackie, she's still very ill and is grateful. (we were able to talk on the phone for a few minutes at noon)I'll keep all of you posted.

    Karen, we have a similar rule only it is for the adults. There are now so many grand-children (my brother and his wife have 7 between them), nieces, nephews, etc that we concentrate only on the little kids and give the cards and hugs to adults.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited about Nano. It was great last year. Can't wait to jump in again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts are with your friend, Catherine. I love Fall - it's my favorite time of year. I want to just relax in the spirit of the season and soak in the cooler air and glorious colors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, I'm excited about NaNo,too. November will be here before we know it.

    Thank you, Shannon. I love Fall, I wish it would last longer than a couple of months that seem to fly by too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your friend feels better soon. :)

    I forgot there are prizes to NaNo. I thought just accomplishing your goal should be prize enough. I not participating since I'm starting my new wip this week. Good luck to you, though, Catherine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Stina. Good luck on your new WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Catherine...I too love meeting new writers. Hope your friend recovers soon. Goodluck with your 2 MG fiction novels that you will be writing during NaNo. I am toying with the idea of participating in NaNo. Lets see how it goes.

    Btw..thanks for your comment on my post.

    http://rachnachhabria.blogspot.com/2010/10/getting-writer-noticed-before-book-is.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. All good wishes for your friend's recovery.
    I too hate the way that the shops will not allow you to enjoy one season, but that they must be pushing us on to consider the next. I refuse to begin thinking about Christmas until the end of November (although I do make my cake at the end of this month, as it tastes better for keeping).
    Last week I thought long and hard about NaNo. I decided not to participate as I am in the middle of my course on article-writing. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Rachna and Christine.

    Rachna, I think you ought to sign up and try it. I really enjoyed the experience.

    Christine, as long as you are in the middle of your course, NaNo would be a distraction and take up too much time away from it. I think it would be good to forego it this year:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just said a prayer for your friend, and I agree with you about the early Christmas stuff. Don't like it either, even though I adore Christmas. Somehow, pushing it so early seems to diminish it.

    Getting excited and nervous about NaNoWriMo too. This is my fourth year, but I still get nervous. It's so much work and I lose so much sleep. But it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Margo, for the prayer. It's funny but I get nervous about NaNo,too. I guess it's because everyone can watch your progress:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying that Jackie is better today...

    October musings? Getting into the next WIP as I wind down on the present one. Looking forward to the new journey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Kenda, she seems to be improving and we're all very excited. It's been a tough two weeks and we're still praying.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry about your friend Catherine. I will keep her in my thoughts for sure.

    As for my Oct musings? I'm trying to wrap up revisions so I can prepare for NaNo -- this will be my first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Melissa and I'll see you at NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interested in your post as I'm a retired teacher and writing a novel with a Halloween theme moving into mythology. Have signed for Nano, will I have the time... Regards, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carole, it's so nice to meet you. Your novel idea sounds intriquing. Kids will love it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you like the idea, Catherine, will be posting more about it soon and shall look for you again. Carole.

    ReplyDelete