Monday, July 12, 2010

Working on WIP or Goofing Off

It's only early July but the lazy days of summer have settled over me. I wrote a lot this weekend but when I sat down at the computer this morning and pulled up my WIP, I closed it again. I thought about writing something new to get the energy flowing, but all I did was sigh out loud. I didn't want to goof off. My goal is to finish this first draft by the end of August. The cicadas are humming in the trees and it's so hot even the cat doesn't want to go outside. Then I remembered that Verla Kay pointed out in a recent post that even if you are only thinking about your project, you are still working on it.

So, I thought about it while I prepared a small pork roast, potatoes, and carrots. I'll think a little more about when I finish writing this, pick up a dust cloth, and give the house a "lick and a promise" as my mother used to say. Later, when the good smells from the oven emanate through the house, I'll be in my favorite recliner. Once in awhile I'll sip on a tall glass of iced tea while totally immeresed in a great book. The best thing is I'll be guilt free because I "worked" on my WIP.

12 comments:

  1. I honestly do some of my best thinking when I'm not actually working on my wip. Walking the dog seems to be the best time to let my mind wander. I hope you made some great progress today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "write" a lot in my head, long before I put work down on paper or document. Oh, yes, thinking about your WIP is still working on it. (That pork roast sounds good... :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I did make some real progress. When I sat down this morning I churned out some pretty good pages after "thinking" about the scene coming up.
    Andrea, the pork roast was good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine, just popped over from Eric Trant's blog. I love your post, sounds like you had a wonderful 'work' day. My favorite.

    ~Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olivia, thank you for stopping by and becoming a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I could have written this post!!! I've been enjoying the summer so much, but still getting to my revisions, which helps contribute to the enjoyment. I enjoyed hearing about your day, it sounded so domestic and pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a very pleasant day, Karen, and thanks for running the query contest with the editors from WiDo. It gave me much needed practice in query writing and I learned a lot from reading the comments on the winner's letter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post! I enjoyed reading about your day. It sounded very relaxing. Sometimes that's what's most needed to produce good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your menu for writing and eating brought me joy today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! Taking a break and reading or cooking will help your ms in the long run! Hope you make your deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, this post really resonates with me! It takes me almost two years to write each novel and it is because the first year is spent dreaming with, talking with and getting to know my characters...but I still think it's my WIP...love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Johanna, for stopping by, taking the time to comment, and becoming a follower.

    ReplyDelete