Monday, July 26, 2010

Making Up for Taking the Wrong Fork in the Road

The summer is moving right along and the temperature is hot. Even with air conditioning my energy has been zapped. Luckily, I make myself work in the morning for no less than an hour so I've been making steady progress.  Last week I was in the middle of writing a scene and it just didn't feel right. Not in a craft sense but more in a "you took the wrong fork in the road" kind of thing way back in an earlier chapter. I wasn't sure I wanted to delete everything from that point but it was either that or forget the whole thing. How many of us have unfinished novels lying around that we just can't seem to save and can't bring ourselves to toss out?


I ran to the grocery store. I can get a lot of thinking done pushing the cart up and down the aisles, but it took more thinking time than that. On Saturday I sat down and went back to where I had taken that fork and started all over again. But not before I cut and pasted the "old" part to a separate document. (No sense in tossing it out completely in case...) The whole thing fell into place and the words came easily. I felt my energy level rise. Maybe working on something that just wasn't right was more energy zapping than the heat. I'm happy to say I'm looking forward to my writing time tomorrow.

Makes me want dust off one of those earlier efforts and find where it really went wrong.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like your instincts are honed. Sensing something was wrong is important. It's okay not knowing what it is right away, as long as you know something is wrong. Then you can go back and fix it. Doesn't it feel good to be on the right path again? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, it really does feel good. Considering that this is my first YA and I already couldn't work with a detailed outline, I was feeling somewhat discouraged. Now I'm back on track and eager to get to it this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that things are moving along so much better now! I can't delete anything (not even a sentence) from a wip without saving it in a file I call "Extras." I don't want to end up needing it later and have deleted it entirely. That frees up my mind to work on the new direction without worrying about what I might have lost. I hope you keep that energy up and keep making such great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susan, and I like the idea of the "Extras" file. I think I'll borrow it and put it on my desktop. Some of those extras might be the germ idea of a new project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad's favourite saying that I've now adopted - keep moving forward.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good saying to live by, Terry. It's Wednesday and I'm still moving forward, once things fell into place, it actually became fun again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How insightful, that even in writing, when we stray from our truth or the piece's truth, things just don't feel right.

    ReplyDelete