Monday, June 28, 2010

Violet Raines Almost Got Struck By Lightning by Danette Haworth


Violet Raines Almost Got Struck By Lightning, Danette Haworth's debut novel from 2008,  is a delightful coming of age story that all former tomboys will want their daughters or granddaughters to read. Violet and Lottie are best friends who play in the woods together and do all the tomboy things they like until Melissa Gold moves to town. Melissa comes from Detroit and is a "priss" according to Violet. She doesn't like Melissa one little bit and she really doesn't like the idea that Lottie finds Melissa fascinating. Melissa opens up Lottie's world to makeup, movie stars, and the desire for her first bra. Feeling jealous and abandoned, Violet tries to sabotage their new friendship.  
I personally enjoyed relating to Violet, being a former tomboy and watching my other friends become interested in girl stuff a year before me.  But what's great about this little jewel, is that there will be other girls who will relate to Lottie and Melissa. The new girl in school will understand Melissa trying to make friends and how painful that can sometimes be.  The designated BFF of someone will understand Lottie's desire to have more than one best friend and wishing they would get along.
Danette Haworth has the skill to create memorable characters who draw readers in and invite them to become a part of the story not just an onlooker. 
I coudn't find this book in a bookstore and had to order it so I really hope it is available in school and city libraries because it's much too good to be overlooked.






8 comments:

  1. It looks like a great book and the fact that it's probably the kind of story most of us can relate to in one way or another is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great5 review! I'll have to track this one down. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing about this book for a while. I tried to find it at Borders, but nada. I'll have to put it on my 'to order' list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. never heard of this - but good review!

    thanks so much for your awesome comments on my blog! My whole family laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, Shannon, and Andrea, I know you'll love reading the book.
    Terry, loved "living" the video from the safety of my chair with my feet planted firmly on the floor. Anyone stopping by you need to go to her site and watch her first VLOG if you haven't already. It's exciting.
    Jessica, thank you for stopping by from Athens and commenting. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a little something for you on my blog! Hope you have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book's great!

    ReplyDelete