Tuesday, June 22, 2010

First Pages

So excited about an Editors Day Conference on September 18, 2010,  in San Antonio. As soon as registration opened online yesterday, I signed up. The faculty will include Sarah Shumway from Harper Collings, Julie Ham from Charlesbridge, and the award-winning author and keynote speaker, Carmen Tafolla.

I didn't sign up for a one-on-one with one of the editors after reading there would be a First Pages session. Since I'm trying desperately to polish up my first pages, I decided this was what I needed most in this conference.

 I've heard and read some funny, brutal, and wonderful things about similar sessions in other conferences. The most important thing the participants come away with is learning how an editor reacts to the first few sentences they read.  I want to hear that about mine! I want them to be brutal!  I'm so happy to remain anonymous!

(Unless of course they ask me to stand up to be recognized because they all want to offer me a contract on the spot!) 




9 comments:

  1. I like your new look! And good luck with your conference, it sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Catherine. I was thinking the same thing about the soccer incident.

    Good luck in San Antonio. Let us know how it goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like great fun—good luck. And yes, do let us know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds exciting! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and learn lots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of being critiqued anonymously. If that type of thing every came to a conference near me, I think I'd jump at the chance. I hope it helps you a lot! First pages are so hard to get write. I always make the mistake of trying to cram in WAY too much back story.

    Anyway, good luck, and please do let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all, for visiting. Even if they don't do mine I'll learn a whole lot just from the ones they do critique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope it'll be a great experience for you and that you'll enjoy it.

    Maybe if you start dreaming a contract . . .!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! If only it were that easy! I'm just hoping they'll choose mine, but the odds are against me.

    ReplyDelete