Wednesday, June 2, 2010

And Now I Can Write!

Just a quick entry. I finally finished the outline this weekend. Whew! It was almost as hard as writing the novel. By the time I was part of the way in, neatness and correct oultine form went totally out of the window. I added notes, made changes, wrote in margins, and my handwriting is legible only to me. I briefly considered typing it up on the computer. That made me tired all over. Nope, I told myself, it's going to be a great road map just the way you wrote it. I'm wondering, though, how many interesting side roads I'll be taking.

Tonight I began chapter one. The next time I mention this WIP will be when the first draft is completed. I'll let you know then if a detailed outline actually worked for me.

11 comments:

  1. My outline never sticks. I am too ADHD and OCD and all sorts of other Disorder thingies. My last name is Disorder.

    Though every time I begin a novel, I try an outline. We'll see how it works this time!

    Good luck on yours.

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call my first draft my outline! It's so sparse and I've got to build from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric and Karen, you both made me laugh in delight. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neatness? Correct outline? :) I think what you've done is fantastic and can't wait to hear how it worked for you. It sounds like something I should be doing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm impressed as heck. But I hope you report in from time to time how it's going. Instead of calling it the WIP and breaking your pledge, you could refer to it by a code word, such as, oh, The Big Country or Giant...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Now the fun part begins! Outlining is the hard part. Now you have your gps. Remember - be bold. Write big! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne, you crack me up! (I'll throw in a progress report now and then, thanks for suggesting it)

    Laura, I'll definitely try to write big! I think my MC will demand it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Good luck with that first chapter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always so excited when I finish my outline and can start the actual writing! I like to outline by hand instead of on the computer, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shannon and Susan thanks for the good luck wishes. I completed chapter one yesterday and could not turn off my inner editor. It's off now and I hope to progress faster.

    ReplyDelete