Monday, April 26, 2010

The Missing: Books 1 and 2 by Margaret Peterson Haddix

     SENT by Margaret Peterson Haddix is the time travel sequel to FOUND in her series: The Missing.  Jonah, Katherine, Chip, and Alex find themselves landing in fifteenth century England. SENT does answer some of the questions presented in Book 1, it also wraps up the first main plot on two children's identities, and the ending is satisfying.  I won't go into the storyline because you can easily find out here. Instead I wanted to be honest about my reaction on the book itself.
    I sat down eagerly to read it and was disappointed. There was so much information on various subjects and theories that I found myself wanting to skip a lot of it to get to the meat of the story. Miss Haddix is an excellent storyteller and SENT is entertaining. However, with cutting and tightening, these first two books could have been joined and would have then made a much better novel. This is just my opinion and I would love to hear what you think.

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read either of these. I'm always glad to hear a reviewers response to a book. Too often I find this same problem with sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen, for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm . . . I haven't read the series, but I'm at least intrigued to read the 1st two. Thnx for the rec.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read these either, but I know one of my nieces likes it. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your niece liked them, they were good stories. Thanks for stopping by, Myrna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read these books yet. I started the first one but lost interest. But I do think kids would stay interested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget Lilah's LAST LINES BLOGFEST. I had to post early due to work constraints. I look forward to reading your entry, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reminder, Roland, I'll get mine first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete