Saturday, April 24, 2010

FOUND by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Margaret Peterson Haddix's book FOUND is a time travel mystery/thriller and the first in a series, published in 2008. It's about Jonah, his best friend, Chip, and Jonah's sister Katherine. It begins with threatening notes in the mail to Jonah and Chip making them investigate their own adoptions. This investigation uncovers a huge conspiracy and catapults them into time travel.

  The story itself was exciting and each chapter ended with a cliff hanger. I kept turning those pages but there were a couple of things that, as a reader, made me impatient to move on. For example, Jonah's thoughts seemed to go off on tangents or repeat when I wanted to get back to the story. The other thing was discussions about paradoxes, time travel, ripple effects, etc. I think young readers will just skip over those parts to get to the action.

On the other hand, being a "grown-up", my POV in those two areas may be way off base.

As a writer, I learned some things about technique, characterization, and what keeps a reader glued to the page.

I recommend FOUND and enjoyed it so much that I'm settling back today to read the sequel, SENT, published in 2009.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I have this one on my shelf right now, so I'm looking forward to reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeing this book for a while. Thanks for the review - I'll definitely be bumping it to the top of my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it great when we can learn from the books we read? Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been meaning to read this. The whole set is at my library. That's probably why I haven't read them because I know they are always there. I will eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone, for all of your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Lola, for commenting and becoming a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like my kind of book! Thanks for posting the review.

    ReplyDelete