Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Marketing Books

A lot of discussion has been going on about how someone would go about marketing their book to help sales in these uncertain, economic times.  So when I trooped out to the mailbox today I wasn't expecting to find a sales gimmic that appealed to me. Avon publishers sent me a postcard advertising Carolyn Hart's new book, Laughed Till He Died. The picture side of the post card appears to be the front jacket pic and on the message side is a brief blurb describing the plot. At the bottom they inserted a smaller jacket pic of her book Dare To Die. They also included the author's website, the price of the book, and the date it goes on sale.

I'm not sure where Avon got my name for their mailing list, it could have come from book purchases on Amazon or my name as a subscriber to The Writer, but wherever they got it, the postcard is a really good advertising scheme. The "jacket" got my attention just like in a bookstore, and the blurb made me think: Hmmm, sounds good.

This is the first time I've received a postcard advertising a book, is this new or has anyone else received some?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Catherine -- I've received them before, for poetry books mostly, but never for a children's book. I think it's a great way to advertise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know that it has been done before. I think this would be great with children's books.

    ReplyDelete