Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's Baby Skunk Time!

My neighbor told me that a skunk was living under her deck this spring. It was the first time because she always had a dog in the yard. Muffin had to be euthanized because of complications of old age so a rather large skunk took up residence a few months later. "It's March," I told her. "I bet you're going to have baby skunks in the yard this spring just like my sister had a couple of springs back."

My sister took this picture when the litter of five ventured forth from under the tool shed. Their mom had made a nice little nest at the bottom of a hole she dug under there. It's a fenced backyard and safe from preditors, as well as her dogs, who live in harmony with any critter that seeks refuge there. Mama Skunk chose a good place to raise her babies in the suburbs.

The doggy door is busy during the daytime, but at night, the dogs prefer sleeping inside while the critters are foraging. So far no curious critter has made use of the doggy door, but the minute one does...

11 comments:

  1. Oh, they're so cute! It's too bad they smell so bad or I'd say house train 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right! At this age they don't smell and are so darn cute, but just a couple of weeks later--different story! They get attitude!

    Just got back from your site. Very cute picture of Olivia deciding to become a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, but I'm glad they are not under my porch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are adorable, but it's only a matter of time... My neighbor had an 'overpowering' problem with skunks two years ago. Hopefully your little ones will move on and leave you in a refreshing peace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ones in the picture were captured and released in the country near a creek with lots of trees and brush to hide in. I helped in the release and picking out the spot. We don't know about my neighbor's skunk yet, we'll just have to wait and see

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo! My dog is one of those smart ones who only need to be sprayed/quilled once. Now she just watches dangerous critters walk across our hiking trails and completely lets them be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! You feel so sorry for them when it happens but it makes you laugh. My sister had to give one of her dogs a bath in V8 juice (that's all they had at the time). It worked well, but a few baths later that poor dog still had a slightly skunky smell. Of course I found it funny--maybe because I got to go home while they had to live with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so cute in that picture. Too bad they stink.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love skunks, a few year ago I lived with a96 year old lady (helped her with shopping, meal prep etc) she had a house and yard outside of San Francisco, she use to leave out catfood for the neighborhood cats, her vision was bad, and animals was her great pleasure. Well of course on night we looked out and there was a skunk eating the catfood, the same skunk came back every nite between 10 and 11. Marian (the elderly lady) kept wondering if it was a male or female, I of course had no idea, well we found out because one nite she came with 5 babies, they were so cute, then they started to come with mamma every nite, they were not afraid of me, when I filled up the dish they came right up and smelled me hand, and I could pet them on the back. Neither mamma or the babies ever sprayed. THe only time Mamma sprayed was one nite when a racoon showed up and wanted to parttake of the delicacies, mama skunk position herself so her butt was in the racoons face and kept turning so the racoon couldn't get to the food, and when he tried she sprayed. Eventually I moved and the lady ended up in a nursing home, but she waited up every nite for the skunks, and although she couldn't see very well they gave her a lot of pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous, what a nice story. Thank you for sharing that with us :)

    ReplyDelete