Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Should I do this? Should I do that?



Trying to decide which is the best way to catch a tennis ball can get a little confusing for a little puppy. The same way a newbie-ish, prepublished, novelist (me) is trying to make a decision on the best plot idea.

I have come up with my characters, setting, etc. etc., for my new project. The problem? Two plots!

I'm outlining both of them and switching back and forth. Should I do this in plot one? Should I do this in plot two? Is this better for plot one or should I move it to plot two? Maybe each plot should have their own characters and be separate projects or just scrap the whole thing.

Am I the only one who goes through this? Every other writer I know seems to have it all together from the start.

The puppy eventually somersaulted and her problem was solved. I'll just take a nap.

10 comments:

  1. Is there a way you can combine aspects of each one that you really like to form a third plot? Otherwise, go with the one you like best or the one that creates the most conflict and emotion. Good luck. Tough call. I think eventually, even if you start writing, you'll know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,Laura, I'm thinking of going with your idea of the one that "creates the most conflict and emotion."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, the nap sounds like a good idea. I'm terrible at plotting, so I'm not going to even try to give you any advice! :) Good luck, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at it this way. At least you have ideas. Is it at all possible that this is a series and you have plots for two different books?

    Could you do a story outline for each and then let them sit for a couple of days, then come back to it and see if one speaks to you more?

    Just a thought, Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, good idea of two story outlines and setting them aside! Thanks for stopping by and offering input.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which plot is a bigger problem for the main character? Which one causes him more trouble? Is the plot that isn't the bigger problem/trouble a subplot, maybe? Just some thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catherine, I was just blogging about this. I don't ever have it all together. My characters start out kinda like that puppy, just playing around and having fun, only after a while the fun is over and there is always a stall and then another and then other. I've tried working with outlines so this doesn't happen, but then my writing it too mechanical. Hope you find what works best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judith, I understand perfectly. As soon as I head in one direction, the characters say, "Forget it..we're doing this." I do find that outlining keeps me on track and going in the direction I need to go, but sometimes things pop into mind and it's down another road I go.

    I've pretty well decided on the main plot this week, but I'm not tossing out the other, I like what Andrea said about using one as a sub-plot.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete