Saturday, February 6, 2010

San Antonio has been blessed with two beautiful sunny days after a week of rain and clouds. I'm not complaining about the rain, after all we've had two years of drought, but it was nice to see the sun.

I haven't been exercising as ordered by the doctor and bad weather is such a good excuse. I really wanted to stay home and read, but...well...the guilt was too much.

I put on my cross-trainers, popped on sun glasses, and grabbed my tire buddy (big stick for stray dogs--just in case). I set my pedometer on steps and power walked out the front door and up the street swinging that tire buddy to the beat in my head.

I was feeling frisky with the cool, 50-ish, breeze so I decided I would just add an extra street. Going that way would cut out a straight line home, but doing the visual math, I figured I would burn those extra brownie calories from last night to make room for more.

By the time I hit my street and saw my little cottage, I was huffing and puffing. No more was I "inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth"! I was panting like a St. Bernard, and I was holding that tire buddy with two hands.

Five minutes later I collapsed in my recliner and pulled out the pedometer. That extra little jog actually cut out a tenth of a mile! And the steps were only 2,776! I don't even want to understand it, I'm just going back to my regular walk, it looks better on the chart.

As I poured my glass of iced tea and grabbed a brownie, I wondered: How does anyone get in 10,000 steps as recommended? And is that a day or a week?

Whatever, the most important thing is I'm now guilt free. That means I can settle down with a book I just ordered by Nancy Werlin called The Killer's Cousin. Somehow I missed this author. After I saw her recommended on Verla Kay, I ordered several of her books.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm glad you got out there for that walk.I've never used a pedometer, so I have no idea how many steps are in the few miles I run. I don't want to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Run? a few miles? Oh, my word,you are my new hero! I admire you runners so much.

    The pedometer is fun! Sometimes it gets a little wacky if it's not on your body correctly--it cheats you out of time served on the concrete. However, it counts miles, how fast you go (mph), and other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! For awhile, I was walking 1.5 to 2.25 miles on my treadmill. From looking at the steps it logged, it looked like I'd have to walk 10 miles to get 10,000 steps. I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but 10,000 steps is a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is! And we have had a few more nice days and I've been out there again. I hope I keep it up but I'm the queen of excuses for getting out of daily exercise.

    Thanks for stopping by, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete