Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"It's an honor just to be nominated...."

I used to hear actors and actresses say that when they didn't get the Academy award and I thought it was just a nice, classy way to hide disappointment. Then one actress, can't remember who, explained her feelings when asked by a reporter if she really meant it when she said it was an honor just to be nominated. She explained that it was so much better than sitting in the audience and getting no recognition at all. Being nominated meant that she was "good enough", her work was validated, even if she didn't win the ultimate prize.

Today, I understood that all to well. I received a rejection from Pockets magazine, a wonderful, uplifting, magazine for children. It was not my first rejection from Pockets, probably won't be my last, but this one meant something more than the others. Pockets works with a special theme for each issue, and in April,2009, I submitted a story for their July, 2010, issue, and the long wait began.

Five months later, in September, I received a coveted Hold post card. I grinned like a little kid! My story was "good enough."

Five months after that, today,  I received the rejection. Disappointed? You bet. Crushed? No.  Would I have preferred a contract in the mail? Oh, definitely, but... It really and truly was an honor just to receive the Hold card...

12 comments:

  1. What a cool way to look at it! I love this take. And am sending the link to some friends who could really stand to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sara, I hope they like it. Thanks so much for stopping by and becoming a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catherine, I know how you feel. Every step in the right direction counts, so a "nomination" definitely gives you a reason to celebrate!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. So will you be framing the Hold card and putting it on your mantel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I couldn't agree more!

    AnneB, I laughed out loud when I read your comment. When the Hold card arrived, I immediately pinned it on the bulletin board right above my computer. Yesterday, I stapled it to the rejection form letter and filed it in my rejection file. (sigh) at least it's a better rejection than the others in there--ahhh, memories! Thanks for stopping by and becoming a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only another writer could understand the beauty of a 'good' rejection. It means you're one step closer to your dream. Here's to the next step!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that it takes so little to boost the moral of writers. A "good" rejection makes all the difference. It's like gas in the tank -it helps you get a little further along the way.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It feels good, doesn't it? :) What a great outlook you have! Good for you! Each step makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a validating rejection. Those are good ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of you are so right about the "good" rejections. We writers need those pats on the back--no matter how small.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting closer! Those almosts are harder to take than just a rejection, though, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back from your trip, Terry. Love the pictures you posted--especially the magic place under the rocks!

    ReplyDelete