Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Gone by Michael Grant

I was finally able to sit down and finish Gone, by Michael Grant. I thoroughly enjoyed it. This young adult novel is all about a small, coastal town in California where everyone over the age of fourteen vanishes in one day at one time. There is no televison, radio, cell phones, or any other device that would connect them to the outside world. Natural leaders as well as power hungry individuals rise up to bring organization to the chaos. The characters, all of them, were well rounded and believable. I really admired how Mr. Grant was able to have so many different characters stand out in their own unique way. To add another dimension to this chaos, some children have recently been given special powers that they have no idea how to control. While others have been secretly practicing and have learned to use them to the detriment of others. Gone blends love, betrayal, friendship, bullies, war, and the unseen force that keeps them isolated, into one exciting read. It is rather long at five hundred fifty-eight pages, but I think once the reader is into the book, he's not going to mind the length. I do wish, though, that the ending, though satisfying, was more final or at least solved a few major problems. Gone just sort of leaves you hanging in such a way that you know it's because there's going to be a sequel. Since it came out in 2008, there have been two more novels in what is called the Gone series.

6 comments:

  1. I read GONE pretty recently and felt similarly about it. It almost read like a Stephen King novel to me. I enjoyed all the different viewpoints, though I would have liked to see a bit more Sam at the end (since he was such a big presence at the beginning). I'll be interested to see what happens in the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about Sam and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like something I should read. Thanks for the review. Now you can do some writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry,I said the same thing to myself yesterday and actually started planning a new project. My recently revised WIP is "resting" until the next reading and revision.

    Good luck on your revisions from your editor's suggestions. I can't wait until your book comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! Another middle grade writer/blogger. They aren't easy to find. And you write mysteries. Cool. Good luck with Mary Kole. She's looking for mg mysteries. I wasn't ready yet to enter it. I'll have to use the old fashioned method and just query. - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the good wishes. I'm glad to see another MG blogger, too. They are few and far between. I appreciate you stopping by.

    ReplyDelete