Friday, October 2, 2009

Submission Responses

Received a "not right for my list" response from my first agent query. It was a little disappointing but totally expected since she is so busy. I had another agency all picked out and this one likes to see the whole manuscript by email in a submission form on their website. I liked that! So much easier to submit that way. As I do my research and pick out agencies/agents, it seems that every agency has different requirements. I decided to mark my submission as exclusive so that now I have three months, maybe four, to polish up the query letter, synopsis, and make sure the first five pages are perfect. My fingers are crossed that I won't have to use them.

Some good news: I received my first hold card from a print magazine on a story submission. Even if they reject it, that's the farthest any of my stories for a print magazine has progressed so I'm thrilled. Of course, it goes without saying that I'm hoping they don't reject it and I'll be even more thrilled!

I just read Peg Kehret's book, Stolen Children. It is an excellent suspense with some interesting view point changes. She's got some wonderful mysteries for children and her book Five Pages a Day: A Writer's Journey is very motivating for writers and anyone else with something they need to overcome and rise above. She has a great website that includes material for teachers covering some of her mysteries. I also love reading her blog!

4 comments:

  1. Rejections mean you're in the game, right? Fingers crossed you'll hear good news soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure does, Angela. Thanks for the crossed fingers and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your post--having your story on hold is great news. It's not an initial sale, but it means it may be soon. It also means your work is a good fit for this magazine. My fingers are crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Andrea, and a big thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete