Thursday, October 8, 2009

Eleven by Patricia Reilly Giff

Just read on Verla Kay that the "FTC is requiring bloggers, posters, and the companies who woo them to disclose free review copies."
( this is a quote from a poster who quoted the Publishers Weekly e-newsletter) Apparently this has opened up a real can of worms, so to speak, but there will be no problem if the reviewer simply states that they have received free copies.
The books that I have mentioned or will mention in the future are ones that I have personally purchased or received as gifts from family and friends.

Having said all that, I now want to mention a book I just finished and afterward sat there with the book in my lap just thinking about it. I haven't done that in quite a while. The title of the book is Eleven by Patricia Reilly Giff. It is about Sam MacKenzie, a young boy with a reading disability, who discovers a newspaper article in the attic with his picture at three and the words Sam Bell and Missing. From there begins a search for two things: find a trusted person to read the article to him and the truth about his past.

Patricia Reilly Giff has created memorable characters, a compelling story, and brought to the reader an intimate understanding of students with learning disabilities. The children who read Eleven will surely look at their fellow classmates in special classes with a new respect and empathy.

3 comments:

  1. This review intrigues me. I will add it to my list of "must read" books.

    My list is getting awfully long...

    peace,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this review. I love Patricia Reilly Giff's work and look forward to reading Eleven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you're talking about, wordwrangler, I have a stack of books to go through. As soon as I finish some I pack them off to my great-nieces who wait eagerly for them.(So does their Mom)
    You and Andrea will like the book--it's great.
    Thank you both for visiting my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete