Thursday, August 27, 2009

Revising to Escape a Drought

The drought here in San Antonio makes it hard to do anything. It's like the only storm cloud overhead is clinical depression and it's hovering over the city. Someone asked if I noticed how the people in San Antonio don't have their usually friendly attitudes. Everyone does whatever he needs to do and then spends the rest of the time indoors. It's hard to keep upbeat when you are seeing the dying grass, shrubs, and trees day after day, week after week, with no relief in sight.

In my neighborhood I would wake up in the morning, put on my cross-trainers, and join the crowd of early morning walkers scurrying around like busy little ants. I don't walk anymore. Now, once in a while I will see one or two dedicated walkers hit the pavement but the rest of us quit. It's just too unpleasant to be outdoors.

All of this has made it difficult to write and here's where I've tried to treat writing as a job. I know when I taught school it didn't matter what the weather was doing, or even how I was feeling, I had to go to school every day and do my job.

After goofing off in June and July, I decided August would be different. I had to force myself to sit at the computer and write something every day. My mind was blank and what I wrote was awful.

In order to keep showing up, I decided it was time to start the first major revision of my first draft of my WIP and I'm glad I did. Once I jumped in, I lost myself in my MC's world which isn't going through a drought. I added a nice refreshing thunderstorm and lush, green scenery. Now I have no trouble sitting down each morning and working!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm sorry it's been so hot and dry out there. I didn't realize that the drought in Texas was that bad. Up here it's been wetter and cooler than usual.

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Stella! We're hoping for relief this fall.

    ReplyDelete